Frequently asked questions
When might you seek out a spiritual director?
- When you desire a deeper more intimate relationship with God.
- When you need to be heard by a compassionate and objective listener.
- When you are trying to discern God’s call or plan for you.
- When you are heading out on a new path of growth.
- When you feel disconnected from God, or when your relationship to him feels distant.
- When you are questioning God's existence, plan, or love.
- When you need wisdom.
What kinds of things can you learn in spiritual direction?
- That you are not a project or problem to be solved, but a beloved child of God.
- How to experience God as real and present in every part of your life.
- How to slow down so that you can consent to and engage with solitude, silence, and stillness.
- New ways to pray.
- New practices for reading the bible.
- New spiritual disciplines.
- Interior reflection and healing guided by the Holy Spirit.
How does it work?
We recommend you meet once or twice per month, but you may adjust that as you feel necessary. There is no required duration and some people find that only a few meetings are helpful. Yet, as is fitting for a spiritual journey, be open to a long-term relationship.
Who can be a directee?
Anyone who is seeking to grow in their relationship with the triune God of the bible. There is no other criteria beyond a desire to know God the father through his son Jesus in the love of the Holy Spirit.
How much does it cost?
An initial hour-long session is free. Each additional session is $85.
What if I can't afford it?
We recognize that for some people, often those most in need of spiritual direction, cost is prohibitive. We desire that no one should be denied spiritual direction because of cost.
Through the generosity of many donors and other directees, we are able to offer a sliding payment schedule for those in need. Please discuss your need during your initial session.
What about privacy?
Your privacy is of utmost importance. You have a right to expect confidentiality of the information you share with your spiritual director. We commit to holding our conversations in the strictest confidence.
As part of their practice, your spiritual director may consult their own spiritual director regarding their work together. This is intended solely to provide additional perspective when necessary. At all times your identity will be held in confidence.
In some rare instances we are compelled to report or disclose information without your consent or authorization. These include expressions of interest to commit suicide or homicide, and abuse of a minor or the elderly.
Code of Ethics
Our spiritual directors operate by our Code of Ethics for Spiritual Directors.
Additionally our directors maintain a supervisor team that has at least one male and one female representative, and makes their contact information available to every directee. Should you ever have concerns about your director's conduct, please contact a member of their supervisory team.