Start by stopping. Residencies are extended stays in host homes for those at a crossroads in life.
Are you at a crossroads? Tired of life’s journey and unsure of your next step? Then look to your right or left and see the welcoming light in our window; walk through our open door.
The Signpost Inn stands wherever paths diverge. We tend a fire in the hearth to warm and welcome the traveler needing rest. We do not have the answer; instead we offer a place where you can stop long enough to hear the still, small voice of God who does.
Our network of host homes offers space to all Christians who desire a sabbath season ranging in duration from one week to one year.
Who should consider a residency
- Anyone at a crossroads in life who wants extended, focused time to grow in their relationship with God, knowledge of themselves, and in a sense of purpose and belonging.
- Young adults who don’t know what to do with their lives or who need a place to get their feet under them.
- Widows and widowers who need time and space to grieve and converse with God.
- Pastors, ministry workers, teachers, or anyone who needs a supportive space for a sabbatical or vacation.
- Retirees who need time to ask God, “What next?”
- Those in midlife wondering, “who am I? Is this all there is?”
Who shouldn't consider a residency
- Anyone looking to escape God or circumstances and who isn’t interested in surrendering to God and consenting to working with him to grow.
- Those who need a half-way house or mental health crisis care.
- Those who are seeking an alternative to church or Christianity.
What happens on a residency?
Every journey is different, and so is every pause along the way. So no two residencies are alike. We do not have a program or a curriculum. Instead we offer space, support, a listening ear, and what wisdom we have to help you connect with God and find his direction for the next part of your journey with him.
In concrete terms we provide the following services:
- Consultation with an experienced spiritual director who seeks to understand your needs and desires, and who can design a residency best suited for you.
- A host home who will provide room for the duration of your residency. Board may also be included.
- Spiritual direction throughout your residency.
- Online and print resources to assist you as you grow in your relationship with God.
It may be helpful to think of two basic kinds of residencies. These are not limiting categories, but can provide a framework with which to begin your thinking.
Sabbatical or Contemplative Residencies
Life with Jesus is nearly impossible without times of solitude, silence, and stillness. Without time and space set aside to be with God, and God alone, we may never get past our egotistical self idolatry. Jesus himself guides us into the “lonely” places on mountains or by the sea to pray and be with his Father.
The purpose of this kind of residency is to remove and re-collect one’s self from the flash and fury of modern life. Time may be devoted to prayer, writing, research, reflection, etc. These residencies are typically shorter, from 1 week to 3 months.
Christians have always removed themselves from the hurry of the work-a-day world in order to be alone with God. At the same time Christians have also acknowledged that humans are made—and need—to love, serve, and be in community with others.
A “contemplative-active” residency unites these two elements into a single integrated lifestyle. Typically longer, from 3 months to a year, these residents focus on growing in prayer, study of the Bible, and their relationship with Jesus. With the active support of a spiritual director they intentionally practice “waiting on the Lord.” At the same time we ask you to participate in the host household, find a job, join a church, and become an active part of the wider community. In short, a contemplative-active resident practices living a life integrated in the love of Jesus.
How much does a residency cost?
Cost varies widely based on duration, location, and services provided. We work very hard, however, to keep residencies as affordable as possible. For short-term residencies we negotiate a fair single fee. For residencies longer than a month we operate on a per-month basis.
To help you get an idea of what to expect, here are two example cost breakdowns. These are not quotes, but simply templates to help you in your planning.
Example cost breakdowns. These are not quotes but templates to help you in planning.
2 Week Sabbatical Residency
- Room & board
- Towels & linens
- Private room
6 month Contemplative-Active Residency
- Room & board
- Private room